11/16/2011

If bath salts helped with depression, what antidepressant should I use?

Hao edited the following:

If bath salts helped with depression, what antidepressant should I use?I was diagnosed with Bi Polar disorder after a motorcycle accident in 2009. After a year and a half of trying several different meds (lithium first, depakote, resperdal, lamictal, abilify, etc etc) I finally had enough, and started experimenting on my own like a moron. Later, I was rediagnosed with "mood disorder," a less significant issue than bi polar, but still a severe problem. Finally, after neuropsychological testing, I was found to have suffered a mild brain injury, TBI. The mania has been gone for a year with no signs of ever returning. Its the depression that is killing me now. I want a need help before I feel it's too late. After so much suffering, misdiagnoses, and dozens of meds, I started to self medicate with drugs and alcohol, only worsening my symptoms of depression and anxiety.

First I fooled with opiates such as percocet. Helped numb my anxiety, but depression was still a huge issue. After a few short weeks of this, I decided to save my money and avoid the stigma of a drug addict. I drank and drank to numb the anxiety, which helped at times, but only worsened the depression as alcohol is a depressant. My brain feels slow, unorganized, and thoughts seem to come very seldomly. I feel that I could stare at a wall for some time without growing tired of it, because my brain is just sloowwwww. So I decided to experiment with things like adderal and bath salts. (was prescribed vyvanse before this, but only worsened depression.)

The adderal helped a little at first, but after a week or so, the effects seemed to dwindle and I found myself even more depressed. Then I discovered this legal bath salt crap. WOW did I feel normal or what. Most stories I heard, as a 21 year old, were "dude its so awesome, its like coke. Jacks you up, ooooh lets party lets fuck someone up." Stupid teen age type shit. I didn't want to try it for those reasons. I just wanted to speed up my brain a bit, as my depression is not just sadness, but slowness of thinking and understanding. Boy did the bath salt help. It didnt make me feel paranoid, anxious, or jittery. It didn't give me psychosis or make me sweat. It really didn't even jack up my energy all that much, but maybe a little. It simply helped me think quickly and clearly. Only using very small amounts over the course of the day, I was still using heavily (about 1 vile every 3 or 4 days.)

Listen people, I KNOW it's stupid, trust me. I ruined my own life by finally admitting to my dad that I had been using it to help me. He flipped and labeled me as a druggie, and things haven't been the same since I stopped using 3 or 4 months ago. I even researched the drug so much that I found one of the active ingredients to be in Wellbutrin. So I immediately stopped the salts, and asked for this med. Tried it for 3 weeks, depression worsened. I feel I can't win. I don't want expensive street drugs, I don't (once) legal bath salts, or anything else in particular. I want to feel quick and "normal" as I used to. What other meds, suppliments, foods, drinks, ANYTHING! What is most similar to this bath salt crap? Why did it help me so much? And if wellbutrin is similar, why did it worsen my depression as most others meds did? I'm dying here. Any help out there?

Iori in Danger
You need to tell this story to a psychiatrist. Be honest about your abuse problems and why you made those decisions. It's tough when you can't find anything that will help you to feel normal. If you thought that the bath salts made you feel normal again, that might be a clue for your psychiatrist.

Unfortunately, the science of prescribing psychoactive drugs is not very precise. It's made huge improvements over the past 2 to 3 decades, but there's still a lot that is not understood. For a lot of patients, finding the right regimen involves a lot of trial and error until they find the one that works just right for you. Your doctor may or may not get useful information from your bath-salt experience, but it's worth bringing it up in case it tells them anything about your condition. It's also worth your effort to continue trying to find a useful drug regimen (under a doctor's care). This is not something that's going to get better quickly, it will take time and patience.

MovieCollecter.
Give up the Bath Salts or any type of narcotic- whatever problems you might have are only temporarily masked by these- meanwhile, the underlying issue will not only remain unresolved but will increase.

The problem is, you won't know it until it hits you in the face- and it will, like a ton of bricks (excuse the cliche).

Therapy is pronbably a good idea at this point; maybe try locating a support group for people suffering from the after-effects of brain trauma- they are out there.

dshenoe
It's probably just the drugs.

Give your answer to this question below! Learn more about anxiety disorders, including types, causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.


Orignal From: If bath salts helped with depression, what antidepressant should I use?

No comments:

Post a Comment